The Sonic Colours remaster is not bad, but it could use some patches and tweaks.
- Sonic Colours Ultimate is just like the original but with upscaled graphics. The game runs at a smooth 4K 60FPS on PS4, load times are quick, the controls are great, and I didn’t experience any frame drops during gameplay. I played it via backwards compatibility on PS5.
- A majority of the levels are still fun to blast through.
- A good chunk of the remixes are great!
- I also liked some of the new features. Some of the cosmetics and effects were cool, the homing attack was fun to use, the Jade Wisp was fun to get around with and Rival Rush was quite challenging.
- I died a couple times because the bloom and blur made certain obstacles hard to see. For example, during the first act of Terminal Velocity, I couldn’t see where the robot was shooting those purple lasers because of the blur. I had a similar problem at the end of Aquarium Park Act 4. It would’ve been nice if Blind Squirrel gave us an option to turn those effects off.
- Encountered a few gameplay/audio glitches like background music not playing, Wisp music not playing, missing sound effects, Sonic landing in the air at the start of Starlight Carnival Act 3, Sonic flying out of bounds, and my game crashed two times. The customization menu also lags for some reason.
- Nintendo Switch version has some pretty long loading screens and I encountered some of the same audio/gameplay glitches the PS4 version had.
Want another opinion?
We got you covered. Take a look at our opinion pieces from the rest of the web team:
The Bottom LineSonic Colours Ultimate (PS4/Switch)
60 100 0 1
It's definitely not a perfect remaster by any means, but I still had fun despite the problems I encountered. I really hope those glitches can be patched. Don't let my experience stop you from trying it out yourself. I encourage you to pick it up and form your own opinion because everyone's experience is different.
It's definitely not a perfect remaster by any means, but I still had fun despite the problems I encountered.
Total Score iThe score was generated on a 100-point percentage scale, though reviewers were suggested to scale by 5-point increments for overall consistency.
- Jade Wisp was fun to get around.
- A good chunk of the remixes are great.
- Bloom and blur made certain obstacles hard to see.
- Encountered gameplay glitches