To the surprise of fans everywhere, a new core Sonic title was just announced at this year’s Summer Game Fest. Sonic Superstars returns to the Classic side of the Sonic franchise in a new title, featuring old foes and new dynamics.
Developed by Sonic Team, Sonic Superstars centers around Sonic and his friends embarking on a journey through the North Star Islands, where they must stop the schemes of the evil Dr. Eggman, who has found ways to harness previously unknown powers within each Chaos Emerald, referred to as “Emerald Powers.”
The game is a brand new 2D experience for the franchise, following the footsteps of experiences like the Classic Sonic gameplay in Sonic Generations. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy have been confirmed playable. Superstars will also bring a co-op experience to the campaign, similar to ones seen in titles like Nintendo’s New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
What to expect:
- Modern visuals that are only possible with 3D graphics, bringing new zones, gameplay and experiences.
- The gameplay in Superstars will feature movements, physics, and controls that will “feel familiar” and appeal to newcomers as well as fans who have been following the franchise for a long time.
- Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy Rose are all playable, with each utilizing the focus on speedy gameplay in a unique manner.
- Fan favourite character, Fang the Sniper, is back, making this his first physical appearance in a game in the franchise since 1996’s Sonic the Fighters.
- Sonic and friends will face a brand new enemy designed by Sonic the Hedgehog co-creator Naoto Oshima, marking his first work on a core installment in the Sonic franchise since 1998’s Sonic Adventure.
- Players will be able to use the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds to unlock new abilities, such as creating clones of yourself, climbing waterfalls, and more.
- Local 4-player co-op for the campaign, with players being able to play solo or cooperatively with friends during the campaign.
- The game will also feature a local and online battle mode, where players will be able to challenge anyone around the world.
Sonic Superstars is expected to be released digitally and physically in Fall 2023, starting at $60 USD. The game will be available on all major PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo, as well as on PC.